Quiz: Are You Ready to Make an Offer on that Home?
After many long trips viewing homes with your real estate agent, you finally found the one. Your heart is ready to make the commitment – but is your head? Take this quiz to find out if you're ready to make an offer.
1. Do you know what the comps (comparables) are?
a. Yes, your real estate agent has shown you the sale prices of similar homes that have sold in the past six months – and yours is either the same price or lower.
b. Yes, your real estate agent has shown you the sale prices of similar homes that have sold in the past six months – and yours is much higher than the others.
2. Have you checked out the neighborhood?
a. Yes, and you like what you see.
b. Yes, and you're hopeful it will turn around once you move in.
3. Have you discussed placing contingencies on your offer?
a. Yes, your bid will be contingent upon a home inspection, appraisal and the seller fixing the leaky roof.
b. No, you don't want to upset the seller.
Are You Ready?
1. If you answered a, you and your agent have looked at all the information and determined that the home you like is being offered at a fair price. That's a sign that you're ready to make a bid.
2. Talk to neighbors and visit the home at different times of day to get a feel for the neighborhood before making a bid. You should like the neighborhood you're buying into, so if you answered a, you're in good shape.
3. Placing contingencies in your offer, such as it being conditional on repairs or a home inspection, will protect you from buying trouble. If you answered a, you may be ready to buy.
Think you're ready to make a bid? Find out how much home you're approved for. Contact SCCU today.